ESSENTIAL QUESTION: How does the definition of "hero" evolve when the primary threat shifts from monster-in-the-dark to law-of-the-state?
I asked learners to share one memory of their experience watching Antigone at Bard on the Beach last week. We discussed how tragedy in general departs a little from Campbell's idea of the hero's journey:
- Beowulf's love of glory v. Antigone's battle of conscience
- wyrd (fate - Beowulf) v. hamartia (tragic flaw - Antigone)
- monster v. tyrant - threat to society
- epic (Beowulf) v. tragic arc (Antigone) - tragedy deliberately breaks Campbell's loop (Antigone doesn't return "transformed"
I introduced the Literary Essay on Anglo-Saxon Ideals and I reviewed the key differences between the literary essay and the expository essay.
Learners use the rest of the period to complete their notes on the excerpts from Beowulf and to begin outlining the essay.
READ: "The Battle with Grendel"
PRACTISE: Notes and annotations for "The Coming of Grendel," "The Coming of Beowulf," "Unferth's Taunt," "The Battle with Grendel"
NEXT CLASS: archetypes and essay prep
No comments:
Post a Comment