ESSENTIAL QUESTION: How do performance choices translate the literal text (on the page) into dynamic power and emotion (on stage)?
Learners stood up and discussed with different partners the questions I posted last day.
I asked learners to think back to Galsworthy's "The Japanese Quince," and consider the absurdity (in the philosophical sense: "human life has on inherent meaning and the universe is entirely indifferent to our search for purpose) of the characters and their how their desire for social conformity hides human vulnerability. I asked learners to also think back to their Grade 9 study of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, particularly the "mechanicals" - absurdity, contrast, art(ifice)/beauty - and to think about whether or not we can consider Mr. Nilson and Mr. Tandram as "mechanical."
We discussed the possible connections to Antigone. I reviewed "the backstory" in order to frame our viewing of the play tomorrow. Learners worked in groups of three to create tableaus from the backstory.
We discussed the importance The Role of the Chorus and I invited learners to view the play tomorrow with one of the lenses below:
- Power & Posture (actor movement, spatial hierarchy) - Groups 1, 3
- Sound & Energy (vocal layering, music, tension) - Groups 2, 4, 6
- Modern Resonance (language choices, contemporary relevance) - Groups 5, 7
- The Chorus (how public opinion is staged) - everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment