For the ill and the absent-minded -

Here, you will find a very brief summary of class discussions and activities, lists of assigned readings, and links to other resources. The posts are reminders of what we covered in class and/or of what you missed by being absent physically and/or mentally. Please post all work in your digital folders via Google Drive. If we are required to work remotely, the posts will give directions for the day's activities, and let you know when we will meet via Google Meets. Please read the posts, talk with your classmates, and do the practise work as it suits the timing at home. If you're still confused, please email me: ms.ignacio@stpats.bc.ca

(NB: I do not condone class absences - you must be present, in class, actively listening and participating whenever possible. Always communicate your absences with the school office as well as with me. It is your responsibility to make arrangements for missed learning opportunities. You MUST meet all assignment deadlines. If we have to meet via Google Meets, please make a note of the QR link posted in Room 205 for the meeting id and passwords.)

05 October 2026

F - The one when we discussed what happens when individual authority collides with social order.

ESSENTIAL QUESTION: What happens to authority, leadership, and moral rules when the world has literally been destroyed?

COLLECTED: Hard copies of one-act Greek tragedy "redux" of "The Japanese Quince"

I spoke about the importance of completing assigned tasks on time.

Learners presented their choral reading of "Ode to Man" from Antigone.

I spoke about and gave brief notes on other key speeches/monologues from the play:

  • Creon's "Ship of State" speech (lines 179-235),
  • Creon v. Antigone - 1st stichomythia (lines 499-594),
  • Haemon's metaphor of trees and sails (lines 797-804),
  • Tirsesias's prophecy and destruction (lines 1090-1137);
and I made connections between individual authority and social order.

I introduced Greene's "The Destructors" (see the link to the left) as a piece that also questions leadership and law in the face of chaos and disorder. I modelled a close reading of the first two paragraphs of the story.

READ: Greene's "The Destructors," Camus's The Outsider

NEXT CLASS: close reading of text

No comments:

Post a Comment